IPRANSW Round 3 2017 - SMSP Long Circuit

A place to post & discuss upcoming events. IPRA or other events welcomed.
Public Read

Moderator: Moderators

Re: IPRANSW Round 3 2017 - SMSP Long Circuit

Post Number:#61  Postby Gridfilla » Tue May 02, 2017 12:49 pm

pirate31 wrote:Yeah, no offense to the drivers but those Over 2L races were boring to watch. I stopped watching after lap 1.
I sure don't see how that will bring the competitors back.
Glad i moved to the Under 2L.
Every driver i talk to, wants them combined !!!
Just sayin ...
](*,)

He doesn't talk to us Gridfillas though .......

Combining grids is like more froth on your Moccha Soy Cap ....... Cup looks full but there is less coffee :lol:

Fix the damn R problem AND encourage newer cars - the numbers will grow.

Yes I do acknowledge the good work by all States at the Delegates meeting and I DO believe the direction is getting clearer! Just have to make it happen.

Combined grids will put my car into storage for sure - built to be in an under 2 litre field and that's where the best racing is at present.

Cheers :mrgreen:
Newbies at the back move the old tail enders to mid pack !!
Gridfilla
one foot in the grave

Post Number:#62  Postby Gridfilla » Tue May 02, 2017 3:33 pm

Easy mate .......
Enter it anyway and call 2100cc - all good.
OR
Bang another 400cc in it and take over the world.
OR
Not.
We all know Jordan and his car are the exception to the rule as Ray's has been in overs but to each his own I guess.
Until the Nationals becomes a structure that rewards all year commitment with some benefit going toward the starting structure of the event, it would be great to win but really still is a winner take all weekend. Hence - in my opinion (NSW based of course) the health of State Rounds will always yield higher benefit than anything else.
But that's only my 2cents ... probably rounds down to zero anyway :-)
Newbies at the back move the old tail enders to mid pack !!
Gridfilla
one foot in the grave

Post Number:#63  Postby TwinTurbo » Tue May 02, 2017 5:39 pm

Gridfilla wrote:Easy mate .......
Enter it anyway and call 2100cc - all good.
OR
Bang another 400cc in it and take over the world.
OR
Not.
We all know Jordan and his car are the exception to the rule as Ray's has been in overs but to each his own I guess.
Until the Nationals becomes a structure that rewards all year commitment with some benefit going toward the starting structure of the event, it would be great to win but really still is a winner take all weekend. Hence - in my opinion (NSW based of course) the health of State Rounds will always yield higher benefit than anything else.
But that's only my 2cents ... probably rounds down to zero anyway :-)

No argument here Mr H, there is no problem with U2L in NSW, it's a raging success and has been for 20 years. Any low turn out in O2L has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with U2L. Leave it alone it's doing just fine and spend the energy fixing what is not doing so well. Everyone knows what the problem is, let's get on and fix it.

Which of course has nothing to do with the racing last weekend, I sure hope someone has good video of the 3 way dice over multiple laps in Race 1. That was great to watch, with multiple lead changes almost every lap. =D> =D> =D>

Cheers
Gary
TwinTurbo
You've got to be kidding, how many posts?

Post Number:#64  Postby mikrace » Tue May 02, 2017 7:23 pm

Blendline has a highlights snippet from all the race 1's on the weekend. U2L got a big chunk of it.
Michael Hazelton
0404 051 926

TwinTurbo wrote:posting on here about it will achieve exactly nothing.
mikrace
forum freak

Post Number:#65  Postby pirate31 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:55 pm

Thanks Mik but could someone post a link to that please ?
pirate31
forum freak

Post Number:#66  Postby MY Racing 221 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:40 pm

Some interesting perspectives here, so might as well add my thoughts as an ex competitor, and keen spectator last weekend.

Firstly, having been on the receiving end (U2L) of some mixed grid races in the past, I've generally preferred to race in separate grids. Working hard to pass an O2L car around the back of any circuit (Oran Park sticks in my mind) to then be blown past on the straight got old after a few laps. Sure, it might look fun from the outside, but when you just want to get up the road and chase the next guy.

That said, some of the best IP races I've seen as a spectator, have been mixed grids. Bathurst for the 12 hour supports comes to mind. It is great as a spectator to see people like Jordan take it to the big boys and mix it up. Lots of fun to watch, and one of the reasons I love IP.

Have to say though, that on the weekend (Saturday), the most exciting watch to race was Production Cars. A huge field, with different strengths and weaknesses throughout the field. Really enjoyable to watch with 4-5 cars within a couple of seconds of the lead for most of the race, and some good battles down the grid. Following that I enjoyed the U2L, and then the O2l was, unfortunately, pretty boring. (sorry!)

But, the reality (I think) is that IPRA is a category for the competitors first, and spectators second. So I think I'd prefer to see the split grids remain - particularly as I know there were a few regular O2L competitors absent last weekend. But keep the occasional mixed grid to mix it up! :)
Dave Youl

Still plotting a comeback... getting closer
MY Racing 221
one foot in the grave

Post Number:#67  Postby pete-rx7 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:31 pm

MY Racing 221 wrote:But, the reality (I think) is that IPRA is a category for the competitors first, and spectators second. So I think I'd prefer to see the split grids remain - particularly as I know there were a few regular O2L competitors absent last weekend. But keep the occasional mixed grid to mix it up! :)

The goal is more competitors - those would in a large part come from spectators. At the very least, a prospective competitor or is going to watch a round to see what the field is like before committing to buy or build an ipra car.

So the spectatorship (if that's a real word?) is very important IMO in increasing the number of competitors.
Pete Ingram
NSW #32 Rx7
pete-rx7
old timer

Post Number:#68  Postby TwinTurbo » Wed May 03, 2017 7:29 am

pete-rx7 wrote:
MY Racing 221 wrote:But, the reality (I think) is that IPRA is a category for the competitors first, and spectators second. So I think I'd prefer to see the split grids remain - particularly as I know there were a few regular O2L competitors absent last weekend. But keep the occasional mixed grid to mix it up! :)

The goal is more competitors - those would in a large part come from spectators. At the very least, a prospective competitor or is going to watch a round to see what the field is like before committing to buy or build an ipra car.
So the spectatorship (if that's a real word?) is very important IMO in increasing the number of competitors.

My experience with new competitors is that the "hook" that gets them interested in IP isn't watching our races. Most commonly they come from other areas of Motorsport and bring their car with them to IP. So it often comes down to progression from super sprints, Tarmac rallies, hill climbs, time attack etc and the fact that theirs is a touring car and hence eligible for IP. We also get "nostalgia" attraction, where for example they had one of "those" cars when they were younger and can now afford to race one.

For sure they often come out to "watch" but they spend most of their time talking to competitors, looking at static cars, close up in the pits and asking what they are allowed to do to their car, how do they join etc. Obviously clean racing with cars not running into each other is part of the attraction. These days the presentation level of the vast majority of cars is extremely high, full credit to competitors, and this has an effect on potential competitors.

Cheers
Gary
TwinTurbo
You've got to be kidding, how many posts?

Post Number:#69  Postby mikrace » Wed May 03, 2017 8:59 am

pirate31 wrote:Thanks Mik but could someone post a link to that please ?

https://youtu.be/IZaV6J7T0q4?t=34s

It's raw footage... so no annoying commentator!
Michael Hazelton
0404 051 926

mikrace
forum freak

Post Number:#70  Postby zossy1 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:23 am

We have one or two rounds of low O2L turnout, and the sky is falling on our heads. Bloody hell.

There were a packet of active O2L cars sitting out for reasons that have been explained (ie. Bathurst, Clipsal, and competing non-IP events like the 6 hour all in the lead up). That is likely to be a temporary situation. Yes, there are some structural issues in rules, etc, but the 2016 Nationals proved that the right car/driver mix and good prep can make any class of O2L car, EM or LM, restricted turbo or atmo, competitive on its day.

Last year, we saw bigger grids and closer racing in O2L. Let's not get carried away suggesting it won't revert in time. I'm still confident my car will be on track by Xmas, and I'm sure others will come into the category, and still more will return too.
zossy1
racer

Post Number:#71  Postby mikrace » Wed May 03, 2017 9:40 am

zossy1 wrote:We have one or two rounds of low O2L turnout, and the sky is falling on our heads. Bloody hell.

There were a packet of active O2L cars sitting out for reasons that have been explained (ie. Bathurst, Clipsal, and competing non-IP events like the 6 hour all in the lead up). That is likely to be a temporary situation. Yes, there are some structural issues in rules, etc, but the 2016 Nationals proved that the right car/driver mix and good prep can make any class of O2L car, EM or LM, restricted turbo or atmo, competitive on its day.

Last year, we saw bigger grids and closer racing in O2L. Let's not get carried away suggesting it won't revert in time. I'm still confident my car will be on track by Xmas, and I'm sure others will come into the category, and still more will return too.

=D> =D> =D>
Michael Hazelton
0404 051 926

mikrace
forum freak

Post Number:#72  Postby pete-rx7 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:16 am

zossy1 wrote:We have one or two rounds of low O2L turnout, and the sky is falling on our heads. Bloody hell.

This is true. The first round of 2015 saw only 6 O2L cars in the trophy race by the end of the weekend and those numbers only went up throughout the year, and in 2016 we had good fields.
Pete Ingram
NSW #32 Rx7
pete-rx7
old timer

Post Number:#73  Postby Another » Wed May 03, 2017 12:49 pm

Not that it adds any wisdom but it adds to the conversation with a different perspective..... I'm new, I'm O2L, I'm enjoying myself immensely. And while I'd love huge grids, the weekends are starting with 'nearly' enough to feel healthy so I'm not freaked out.

Though why my forum posts (like the video I posted in 'videos' 24 hours ago) take forever to appear is slightly frustrating as I imagine this response won't appear until the story has well and truely lapped me.

Stig
Another
pit crew

Post Number:#74  Postby MirageCupCar12 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:00 pm

Gday guys,

Obviously I haven't been in ipra as long as some of you ie. Jeff Hanson (by the way mate, great driving on the weekend) however it seems to me people are worried about an Unders car holding up an Overs and vice versa in various sections?? However, the faster driver and I put emphasis on driver will get around. In my opinion, as racing drivers, we all get more opportunities to improve our skills as a driver by tackling more cars. Developed cars are great, but developed drivers put on spectacular shows and this is greater! Shows draw crowds...crowds draw sponsors and sponsors holistically help our entire category.

Now if we put our egos aside, so what if, hypothetically the O2l crosses the line first, you're still going to be scored as an Unders or Overs.

Spectators grow sports, let's not say they're not important. Imagine if through sponsorship our whole category (Overs & Unders) grew to where we have companies who personally want to back teams and drivers... it then doesn't hit our families back pockets as hard or potentially at all. Means more guys can race because they can afford to (if we head in this direction) and not skip rounds. Imagine potentially getting backed to race in ipra, and thinking back to when "we all had to pay for everything."

Me personally, it was an racing all of you this last weekend in Unders. But if I got to develop myself more and most importantly our category more by combining both fields ...an even greater honour to be apart of! Plus even more track time or races if we're all out there.

One again, a pleasure racing with you all on the weekend, let's make this even greater than it is. No limits!!! Let's make ipra unstoppable...a juggernaut so to speak!

Ben Wright
MirageCupCar12
rookie

Post Number:#75  Postby MirageCupCar12 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:01 pm

"an honour racing you all"
MirageCupCar12
rookie

Post Number:#76  Postby 3sgem » Wed May 03, 2017 8:37 pm

MirageCupCar12 wrote:"an honour racing you all"

You must be enjoying the Integra (cause it shows) and the great work of the BYP boys!

See you next round...
Paul,

...I've never been perfect... but neither have you!!!
3sgem
forum freak

Post Number:#77  Postby MirageCupCar12 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:44 pm

Loving it Paul! And thanks, they work tirelessly on it, as does mum & dad's financial support! I look forward to racing you guys too:)
MirageCupCar12
rookie

Post Number:#78  Postby pirate31 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:32 pm

Maybe we should move this thread to its own page ?????????
A lot of interested competitors aren't aware of our debate.
pirate31
forum freak

Post Number:#79  Postby FatBoy » Wed May 03, 2017 9:42 pm

I tend to agree with Footie, i'm sure the guys out there were having a ball but the Overs races were pretty boring from a spectator point of view. More so due to numbers than anything else obviously...

I can see both sides of the argument - one of the best races i had in my first year was racing Dave Crighton in his Unders Datto 1600. My very basic RX-7 didn't have quite enough straightline grunt to pass him down the straight so he'd hold me up over the top at WP - both of us got grinning like idiots. But yeah, can understand the frustration of Unders guys getting baulked in the tight sections by bigger cars which blast away on the straight bits - but how good would it have been to see Wattsy and Jordan Cox go at it in the same race ? Tough call really...

And as above, might be time for a separate discussion ?
FatBoy
I spend too much time in front of a keyboard

Post Number:#80  Postby absolutely » Thu May 04, 2017 3:03 pm

Maybe Coxy would like to double enter at the next round and give the punters something to look at in overs.
Got to be good for a promo. We will also see who is really the support category. But seriously I can't see the problem
With combined grids. It certainly works in production touring. Big fields and the best racing all weekend.
Four different classes in 1 grid and all happy to race each other.
Wattsy
absolutely
racer

PreviousNext

Return to Upcoming Events