IPRANSW Rd6 Wakefield Park 8/9th Sept 2018

A place to post & discuss upcoming events. IPRA or other events welcomed.
Public Read

Moderator: Moderators

Re: IPRANSW Rd6 Wakefield Park 8/9th Sept 2018

Post Number:#61  Postby MACKA E30 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:09 pm

zossy1 wrote:Just getting back to the video - if you have some in-car footage from the round that you would like to share, please hit me up ASAP. I’m hoping to have something ready to upload by the end of the weekend.

A few notes from my experience:

1. Doing video at a race meeting is not easy or fun. How and why RevHead Pete keeps doing this has got me - he must really, really love racing and love the category. Don’t get me wrong, so do I - but walking around the pits with a camera, tripod and mic all day (possibly all weekend!), driving a couple of hours to get there, not really getting to watch or enjoy the racing, and paying for the privilege... you’d have to really want to do it, or be getting paid pretty well.

You Victorians really have an asset there in Pete because after last weekend, even if I wasn’t racing, I’m not sure i’d do that again.

2. I’ve now been playing with editing the raw footage for maybe 7-8 hours. I’m maybe three quarters of the way done. It would be faster next time, but there is every bit as much time, maybe more, in the editing as in the gathering the footage.

3. Interviewing is not as easy as it looks. I’m really $hit at it, judging from the footage. I almost didn’t move to editing because I’m pretty embarrassed about how bad I am at this - but a promise is a promise. The drivers all did well, but my performance was terrible. Now again, I might be slightly better next time... but anyone stepping up to do this will either need to have some skill or will need time to develop the skills.

4. I now know why RevHead Pete uses a handheld mic in the pits... and sadly you all will know too when you see the video... :roll:

5. At least half the drivers didn’t want to go on camera, and getting enough decent in-car footage to splice up for the video has been bloody difficult.

That said, I’m a firm believer in promoting the category through video, and will push that through the club. If we have to pay for the privilege, so be it. Maybe we can find a poor media or journalism student who needs some extra cash... otherwise, Blend Line if we can afford it...

If we can get raw video from BLTV or from other sources, I’m happy to edit it though.

Good on ya Chris, I dont think anyone likes being on camera, however we're all interested in watching others, so we have to give it a go.
Thanks for your efforts, I'll let you decide if my "exceeding track limits to gain advantage" is in the best interests of promoting IPRA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogRfUBntXoE

Cheers
Macka
MACKA E30
one foot in the grave

Post Number:#62  Postby zossy1 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:05 pm

Haha! Thanks Macka!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zossy1
racer

Post Number:#63  Postby switch » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:09 pm

Sprintparts wrote:
switch wrote:It is a worry. Quite a few regular and former IP competitors running with the MRA. We were going to be another but the car decided to be temperamental. All this in what is a combined grid as well, with 3 or 4 unders cars..

Wakefield had 20 competitors practice and 17 start the last race on Sunday afternoon, which was good. From what I can see from the MRA meeting, of the potential IP competitors that were running less than half were still going at the end of the day, so maybe that is why they did not want to make the trip to Wakefield Park?????????????

Mark

I think that is being very dismissive. Watts has said he will not be coming back to IP, he has made the decision to take the car to sports sedans. Graham Bohm, longtime U2L competitor and second in the championship just a few years ago to Justin McClintock (who was also running), has been running with MRA for a little while now albeit in an overs car now. Dave Masing in the Lancer, built the car towards IP but has decided MRA is a better fit for the moment. Stephen Wan, current U2L competitor reverted his car back to its 'aero' spec and went racing with them because he was chasing a championship there. My car was to be driven by Paul Wilken, another longtime IP competitor, but for a few gremlins we didn't make it. The reasoning behind choosing MRA over IP for the weekend was the cost, a one day event and cheaper entry, the distance makes no difference as the car lives in the southern highlands so roughly halfway between both tracks. So saying that they were not going to Wakefield because of their reliabilty is incorrect they all would of had their reasons to run there.

IP is not in a privileged position like it once would have been. There are now competing categories that are cheaper to run in or are a bit more liberal with their rules that are competing for the same market. IP can no longer be classed as cheap racing, nor are the rules adaptive enough due to the need to cover bases with around 50 years of potential model spread available to the class. From my point of view the issue is costs, from others like Bruce its split grids and there will be more people with an even wider ranging list of reasons what they think the issue is. The answer will no doubt lie somewhere between all of them, however to think that there is no problem is foolish.
switch
one foot in the grave

Post Number:#64  Postby Sprintparts » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:31 pm

switch wrote:
Sprintparts wrote:
switch wrote:It is a worry. Quite a few regular and former IP competitors running with the MRA. We were going to be another but the car decided to be temperamental. All this in what is a combined grid as well, with 3 or 4 unders cars..

Wakefield had 20 competitors practice and 17 start the last race on Sunday afternoon, which was good. From what I can see from the MRA meeting, of the potential IP competitors that were running less than half were still going at the end of the day, so maybe that is why they did not want to make the trip to Wakefield Park?????????????

Mark

I think that is being very dismissive. Watts has said he will not be coming back to IP, he has made the decision to take the car to sports sedans. Graham Bohm, longtime U2L competitor and second in the championship just a few years ago to Justin McClintock (who was also running), has been running with MRA for a little while now albeit in an overs car now. Dave Masing in the Lancer, built the car towards IP but has decided MRA is a better fit for the moment. Stephen Wan, current U2L competitor reverted his car back to its 'aero' spec and went racing with them because he was chasing a championship there. My car was to be driven by Paul Wilken, another longtime IP competitor, but for a few gremlins we didn't make it. The reasoning behind choosing MRA over IP for the weekend was the cost, a one day event and cheaper entry, the distance makes no difference as the car lives in the southern highlands so roughly halfway between both tracks. So saying that they were not going to Wakefield because of their reliabilty is incorrect they all would of had their reasons to run there.

IP is not in a privileged position like it once would have been. There are now competing categories that are cheaper to run in or are a bit more liberal with their rules that are competing for the same market. IP can no longer be classed as cheap racing, nor are the rules adaptive enough due to the need to cover bases with around 50 years of potential model spread available to the class. From my point of view the issue is costs, from others like Bruce its split grids and there will be more people with an even wider ranging list of reasons what they think the issue is. The answer will no doubt lie somewhere between all of them, however to think that there is no problem is foolish.

I will work backwards from what you have said.

I can sometimes not think before I write, but I am not foolish. If you read back over my comments you will see that I have been saying there is a problem with IP, but it is NOT only NSW, but IPRA nationally as almost all the states are struggling with reduced numbers.

I personally like to compete in races were everyone is running under the same rule set. MRA uses a "race what you bring class" (Super TT), so know one is really on the same playing field. And yes I have several mates who have been competing for many years in MRA, and I know for a fact that a lot of the cars would not be eligible for any CAMS category.

IPRA NSW has no control over race dates (we can only select from what is offered to us) and absolutely no control over entry fees, that is up to the promoters. Just be thankful that you don't want to race in the SA State Championship rounds at The Bend, as I believe entry fees are around $600.

I don't how you see me a dismissive. I never raised the issue of who was competing at MRA, you did, I only mentioned how few of those potential IP cars were still running at the end of the weekend.
You have answered the reason of why those competitors were not at the IP round at Wakefield, with maybe the exception of 1 person there is nothing that IPRA could have done differently to get those competitors for the final round.

Wattsy has gone SS, Graham Bohm has been running with MRA all year, I believe that he ran out of K20 engines and decided to go K24, we might see him next year. Justin has not run all the IP rounds this year, and has been having a few "technical issue" so I believe that he wanted to do some testing closer to home (and a cheaper cost), don't blame him I would have done the same. David Masing, his car his decision on who he wants to race against. I spoke with Stephen Wan 2 weeks before WP, he said due to all the IP DNF's he has had this year, he felt it was better to chase the MRA Class, so would have I, and Paul Wilken, it did not matter where the car was entered it never made it to the race meeting.

Mark
Sprintparts
racer

Post Number:#65  Postby TwinTurbo » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

For sure cost and convenience are relevant, but we can't ignore the regs issues. On Bohm and others, if we had a 2.5 litre weight break, which we (IPRANSW) have asked for many times since 2010, they would most likely be back to IP. But adding ~130 kgs of ballast, to achieve the 3 litre weight limit, plainly does not cut it. There are number of other 2.0 to 2.5 litre cars running that also avoid IP as a result. Not having to run a restrictor, as we (IPRANSW) have also asked for many times since 2010, would have an influence on Watt's decision as well.

Cheers
Gary
TwinTurbo
You've got to be kidding, how many posts?

Post Number:#66  Postby Sprintparts » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:23 pm

MACKA E30 wrote:Good on ya Chris, I dont think anyone likes being on camera, however we're all interested in watching others, so we have to give it a go.
Thanks for your efforts, I'll let you decide if my "exceeding track limits to gain advantage" is in the best interests of promoting IPRA

Cheers
Macka

Hi Macka,

Here is an outside shot of the passing move, maybe you should consider running having a go in the Australian RX (Rally Cross) Championsip. :D

http://www.pricelessimages.ifp3.com/#/g ... 991-4a24c/

Mark
Sprintparts
racer

Post Number:#67  Postby 3sgem » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:36 pm

zossy1 wrote:
3. Interviewing is not as easy as it looks. I’m really $hit at it, judging from the footage. I almost didn’t move to editing because I’m pretty embarrassed about how bad I am at this - but a promise is a promise. The drivers all did well, but my performance was terrible. Now again, I might be slightly better next time... but anyone stepping up to do this will either need to have some skill or will need time to develop the skills.

What if, not that I know anything, you cut out your part of the interview and just had the drivers talking? Or have your questions on the screen in type?

:D
Paul,

...I've never been perfect... but neither have you!!!
3sgem
forum freak

Post Number:#68  Postby zossy1 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:55 pm

3sgem wrote:
zossy1 wrote:

What if, not that I know anything, you cut out your part of the interview and just had the drivers talking? Or have your questions on the screen in type?

:D

Good idea!

I'm too far done now with the editing to start again but that's not a bad idea... :)

As for cost, I know the committee has ideas to try to deal with that. They are actually pretty good ideas IMO. I hope they work and we can all be back together in the tent next year.

They can't unilaterally change the IP rules though... but haven't we made some positive progress there recently? We can't all have total victory, and Super TT is still a cowboy class of racing. The fact is, there are no rules (or at least no enforcement) in those MRA classes. That's attractive to some, but not to others.
zossy1
racer

Post Number:#69  Postby 3sgem » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:05 pm

Sprintparts wrote:and Paul Wilken, it did not matter where the car was entered it never made it to the race meeting.

Mark

Thanks Mark for the vote of support! I'm just gathering up some rocks to throw at your glass house. :x
Paul,

3sgem
forum freak

Post Number:#70  Postby MACKA E30 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:27 am

Sprintparts wrote:
MACKA E30 wrote:Good on ya Chris, I dont think anyone likes being on camera, however we're all interested in watching others, so we have to give it a go.

Cheers
Macka

Hi Macka,

Here is an outside shot of the passing move, maybe you should consider running having a go in the Australian RX (Rally Cross) Championsip. :D

Mark

Fair cop, guilty as charged,
tempting: but I've been panel damage free in IPRA for a long time. Im not sure that would be the same in Rallycross.
I'll look into it.

Cheers
Macka
MACKA E30
one foot in the grave

Post Number:#71  Postby Sprintparts » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:38 am

3sgem wrote:
Sprintparts wrote:and Paul Wilken, it did not matter where the car was entered it never made it to the race meeting.

Mark

Thanks Mark for the vote of support! I'm just gathering up some rocks to throw at your glass house. :x

No problems, you are welcome to throw them when ever you wish, I just stated fact.

Mark
Sprintparts
racer

Post Number:#72  Postby zossy1 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:08 pm

Sprintparts wrote:

Cheers
Macka

Hi Macka,

Mark

Thanks to another competitor who was much better placed, I have even better (moving) footage than this. :)

Stay tuned for the video, which I’m hoping to have up Sunday night!
zossy1
racer

Post Number:#73  Postby MACKA E30 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:29 pm

zossy1 wrote:
Sprintparts wrote:

Cheers
Macka

Hi Macka,

Mark

Thanks to another competitor who was much better placed, I have even better (moving) footage than this. :)

Stay tuned for the video, which I’m hoping to have up Sunday night!

Cool, cant wait. Clearly my perception of where the left hand side of the car is, is out of whack with reality. Sorry to all I've "impacted".
Might explain why I always crashed on the navigators side in a former life. :?
MACKA E30
one foot in the grave

Post Number:#74  Postby 3sgem » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:59 pm

Sprintparts wrote:

No problems, you are welcome to throw them when ever you wish, I just stated fact.

Fact, which fact is that? Come on, roll out the facts. Let's see your accuracy! ](*,)

( Just to help your facts, I don't own a race car nor have raced for 5 years....).
Paul,

3sgem
forum freak

Post Number:#75  Postby Sprintparts » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:35 pm

3sgem wrote:
Sprintparts wrote:

Fact, which fact is that? Come on, roll out the facts. Let's see your accuracy! ](*,)

( Just to help your facts, I don't own a race car nor have raced for 5 years....).

Hi Paul,

I don't really know what your issue is here. I never raised the matter of who was competing at the MRA round, "Switch" did. I don't really care, as I only care about IPRA and the people who are running at our rounds. Everyone is free do do what suits their needs.

"switch"is the person who identified those potential IPRA runners who were competing at the MRA round NOT me, "switch" is the person who gave their reasons. I just agreed with him and offered some additional information about those competitors/cars, those were the "facts".

You're the person wanting to throw stones.

IPRA NSW Committee have been putting a lot of effort doing the best they can with the resources they have, as I am sure all the committees have from each state. All because you don't read about it here it does not mean that things are not being done.

As has been stated numerous times, there is not one issue and it is not an IPRA NSW problem it is a national problem and it is not only affecting IPRA, it is affecting almost all categories at state level racing.

From an IPRA NSW point of view, it is not the 4,5 or 6 potential IPRA competitors that are running with MRA, it is the 50+ other IPRA cars that are left sitting in garages and not being raced.

Mark
Sprintparts
racer

Post Number:#76  Postby 3sgem » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:06 pm

Sprintparts wrote:
3sgem wrote:
Sprintparts wrote:

Hi Paul,

I don't really know what your issue is here.

You're the person wanting to throw stones.

IPRA NSW Committee have been putting a lot of effort doing the best they can with the resources they have, as I am sure all the committees have from each state. All because you don't read about it here it does not mean that things are not being done.

As has been stated numerous times, there is not one issue and it is not an IPRA NSW problem it is a national problem and it is not only affecting IPRA, it is affecting almost all categories at state level racing.

From an IPRA NSW point of view, it is not the 4,5 or 6 potential IPRA competitors that are running with MRA, it is the 50+ other IPRA cars that are left sitting in garages and not being raced.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I agree with what your saying about IP and the numbers. I'm passionate about IP and am concerned as most are that the issue of numbers at race meetings needs to be addressed. I, like switch, am just pointing out where we believe (and as whats been said here previously) where some of the current IP racers are going for what seems like 'costs of competing issues'. Which I believe the committee are hopefully addressing.

But I took issue with you inferring that whatever car I arrive in at a track is going to be unreliable. I can accept a bit of that but not all of it. So you inferred it and I challenged that. So let's move on. We've both been racing long enough to know that the good times come with the bad.

Cheers....
Paul,

3sgem
forum freak

Post Number:#77  Postby Notso Swift » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:21 pm

[quote="zossy1"]
1. Doing video at a race meeting is not easy or fun. How and why RevHead Pete keeps doing this has got me - he must really, really love racing and love the category. Don’t get me wrong, so do I - but walking around the pits with a camera, tripod and mic all day (possibly all weekend!), driving a couple of hours to get there, not really getting to watch or enjoy the racing, and paying for the privilege... you’d have to really want to do it, or be getting paid pretty well.

You Victorians really have an asset there in Pete because after last weekend, even if I wasn’t racing, I’m not sure i’d do that again.
Just note the IPRAVic committee pay for RevHeads review, if we were to lose our major sponsor we wouldn't be able to do it, but it is something we feel is beneficial to sponsors and competitors
It has got better over the years and there is an element of build it and they will come
Contrary to popular opinion, I do have mechanical sympathy, I always feel sorry for the cars I drive.
Notso Swift
You've got to be kidding, how many posts?

Post Number:#78  Postby zossy1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:28 am

Notso Swift wrote:Just note the IPRAVic committee pay for RevHeads review, if we were to lose our major sponsor we wouldn't be able to do it, but it is something we feel is beneficial to sponsors and competitors
It has got better over the years and there is an element of build it and they will come

That makes sense - it is worth it, we all love watching it, and we all know the sponsors - Educational Living, Traction Tyres, DLL Photography etc...

Anyway, here is my (rather less polished) effort:

https://youtu.be/6ZPPFmsQaAI
zossy1
racer

Previous

Return to Upcoming Events