New cars for 2019

A place to chat about the state of the IPRA nation, ask (non-technical) questions about IPRA, etc.
Public Read and Write

Moderator: Moderators

Barney
forum freak

Re: New cars for 2019

Post by Barney » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:54 pm

getting there. My list gets bigger not shorter lol

bdinnerv
rookie

Post by bdinnerv » Fri May 03, 2019 12:08 pm

Well, looks like I have just suffered a bit of a setback - was on track for Wakefield and worse case Morgan park but torqued up the head last night and pulled a stud out of the block - pretty gutted, looking at options at the moment but looks like August will be the target now.
Its not the speed that kills, its the sudden stop at the end

Electro
old timer

Post by Electro » Fri May 03, 2019 6:29 pm

RoyBoy302 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:35 pm
switch wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:45 am
mikrace wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:38 am
Electro wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:32 pm
TwinTurbo wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:35 am
The process for having a car added to “The List” is quite onerous with one of the requirements being more than 200 vehicles imported/sold. Hence why it contains the popular “grey imports” which have the numbers but aren’t automatically included because they weren’t sold here by the manufacturer (or their agent).
Minimum 200 sold as new, through a manufacturer’s dealer network.
Or
"Grey Import" available on a large scale and recognized by Cams, at it's SOLE discretion.
Just build the Cosmo Dave and it will get cleared into IP by necessity when it is seen and heard on the track :D :D :D
What ever happened to the Cosmo proposal? Wasn't there one being done in QLD?
giphy.gif
Can always rely on you Roy, for a laugh.

TwinTurbo
You've got to be kidding, how many posts?

Post by TwinTurbo » Sat May 04, 2019 5:24 am

bdinnerv wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:08 pm
Well, looks like I have just suffered a bit of a setback - was on track for Wakefield and worse case Morgan park but torqued up the head last night and pulled a stud out of the block - pretty gutted, looking at options at the moment but looks like August will be the target now.
Drill and helicoil, take 10 minutes DIY or call the mobile guys.

Cheers
Gary

bdinnerv
rookie

Post by bdinnerv » Mon May 06, 2019 12:21 pm

TwinTurbo wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:24 am

Drill and helicoil, take 10 minutes DIY or call the mobile guys.

Cheers
Gary
Unfortunately not quite that simple - I will need to strip the block back down and take it to a machine shop to get this one fixed.

Luckily I managed to find a stock bottom end over the weekend - am going to throw a new set of bearings in it and put my head on it to get running, may still look at Morgan park but is more likely for the SMSP round in August now. Bottom end will be low comp so will be a bit down on power compared the the other bottom end I had built but will get the car running and get some chassis setup done and then put the high comp bottom end back in later i the year.

switch
one foot in the grave

Post by switch » Tue May 07, 2019 9:32 pm

Electro wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:29 pm
RoyBoy302 wrote:
switch wrote:
mikrace wrote:
Electro wrote:
TwinTurbo wrote:
The process for having a car added to “The List” is quite onerous with one of the requirements being more than 200 vehicles imported/sold. Hence why it contains the popular “grey imports” which have the numbers but aren’t automatically included because they weren’t sold here by the manufacturer (or their agent).
Or
"Grey Import" available on a large scale and recognized by Cams, at it's SOLE discretion.
Just build the Cosmo Dave and it will get cleared into IP by necessity when it is seen and heard on the track :D :D :D
giphy.gif
I love how everyone is choosing not to comment. In=know that there is a story behind it. Was just trying to find some truth to the rumor. Guess self interest rules as always...

Electro
old timer

Post by Electro » Wed May 08, 2019 12:50 pm

switch wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:32 pm
Electro wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:29 pm
RoyBoy302 wrote:
switch wrote:
mikrace wrote:
Electro wrote:
TwinTurbo wrote:
Or

giphy.gif
I love how everyone is choosing not to comment. In=know that there is a story behind it. Was just trying to find some truth to the rumor. Guess self interest rules as always...
What would you like to know, I have all the facts, and am an open book.

You would probably be better off Private Messaging me, as I will probably ruffle some feathers, if aired publicly.

Born Again Racer
one foot in the grave

Post by Born Again Racer » Thu May 09, 2019 11:41 am

Go on Dave. Ruffle away

Electro
old timer

Post by Electro » Thu May 09, 2019 1:04 pm

Born Again Racer wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:41 am
Go on Dave. Ruffle away
Nah, the princesses will delete.

gmontrack
old timer

Post by gmontrack » Thu May 09, 2019 3:21 pm

The facts are pretty simple with nothing to hide regarding this, as it was CAMS who made the final call...The second Cosmo proposal, which was very similar to the first one that Dave put up went into CAMS directly. Not sure exactly why Dave thought going to CAMS was the best option but he did and had every right to do that, as does anyone. CAMS than asked for the IPRAA Board to respond back to them out lining the reasons why it failed first time around, which was done. CAMS then reviewed all aspects of the submission and came to the conclusion that the vehicle did not tick all the boxes and as a result would not be added to the list of eligible vehicles that IPRA currently has. CAMS advised and declared the matter resolved.
With respect to CAMS we have all excepted the judges call and have now moved on.
We are all working for the betterment of this category and within the guidelines and regulations set down by CAMS.
I might just add that this is NOT the first time a vehicle submission has not been approved for inclusion.
hope that answers your question
GM

Electro
old timer

Post by Electro » Thu May 09, 2019 8:35 pm

Yes, I did put it through Cams, as that is what the Cams manual instructs me to do. It's a pity you, Garry, don't follow rules as I.
After Cams sent it back to IPRA, it should have been discussed by all state delegates, I know for a fact, this was not done. And even the delegates you might have spoken to didn't follow the constitution. Please read below -

6.2 Delegates shall ensure that minutes of Executive Committee meetings and correspondence from other
Delegates or the National Administrator is brought to the attention of the State or Territory Association next
general meeting or committee meeting as appropriate.
6.3 Delegates shall ensure that copies of State or Territory Associations general meetings and committee meetings
are sent to the National Administrator and to ensure generally that he/she is kept properly informed.
6.4 Delegates are expected to act for and on behalf of and represent the views of the members of their State or
Territory Association.

Now take particular notice of part -"6.4. Delegates are expected to act for and on behalf of and represent the views of the members of their State or Territory Association." I also know for a fact that this did not happen. You and your merry men/boys club took it upon yourself to make up every bodies mind for them. This seems to happen all to often. Keep reminding yourself 6.4, 6.4, 6.4.
No Delegate can make a decision without representing the views of that Delegates State members.

I, as a Qld committee member never saw a copy of any Delegate meeting minutes as described in 6.3, 6.3.

The second Cosmo proposal was so much different to the first one, tells me you didn't even read it. The amount of work that Ryan and Peter put into it, was outstanding and deserved a closer inspection. The way the boys club fobbed it off at the National Delegates meeting forced me to go over your head, and straight to Cams. Well didn't that back fire. Cams cannot even follow there own rule book. It sates "at their sole discretion". I didn't realise 'sole' means let others make the decision.

I found out that the proposal, that I put to Cams, came back to IPRA for feedback, so I presumed that all members would have had to voice their opinion. That is why I started to promote it on the forum, as the Constitution states I am entitled to do, until some nuff nuff enforced the forum admin to take it down - another fully represented view of all the members - NOT.

I presume the Constitution was invented to guide all members through the process that is IPRA. The sooner this happens the better. If you cannot follow the Constitution, then the Constitution needs to change, or move over and let people take over that can follow the Constitution. The sooner full transparency and disclosure happens to all members the better.
If you have nothing to hide, then you will have no problem.

gmontrack
old timer

Post by gmontrack » Thu May 09, 2019 10:28 pm

Dave, if you wanted it to go back to the IPRA members "so they could have their say", you should have put it back into the IPRA system. Your first proposal went through our system as per our constitution and as a result it did not get a majority of states being in favour of it which is one of the reason it got knocked back. So 6.4 was followed..... yes members had their say and it was a no... are you saying that they were wrong?
When you sent the second one into CAMS they contacted us asking us to wright a response outlining why it failed the first time and some history around why it did not tick all the boxs and so we replied with those details in our response, which you have seen. This was discussed at length within the board and you have been advised of that as well.
I fail to see how you can blame the board ( boys club as you call it) when it was in fact a direct result of you action of sending in your second proposal to CAMS which you then asked them for an answer. They intern gave you their answer, which is what you asked them to do, and I'm sure it was after due consideration, taking on board everything leading up to that point regarding the proposals...... you asked them not us..
As I have said , we respect their decision and have excepted their ruling, I think its time you did as well.. move on please.

I have nothing further to add.

GM

Electro
old timer

Post by Electro » Fri May 10, 2019 4:15 am

Maybe, Garry you should stick to the facts.

2016 - First Cosmo proposal was not put up by me, it was a South Australian proposal that was brushed under the table, and I just moved it from under the table. As for the vote by members in 2016, it went down by 4 states (no) to 3 states (yes). One of those states wanted clarification on a few points, and stated, if they were cleared up then maybe a yes. This could have been a reason why other states voted no, you have made sure that we will never find out.

2017 - I emailed you and asked to put another Cosmo submission forward - this one was by me - with all the questions answered. You stated that you were to busy with other rule changes to bother. Amazes me how so little can be done by so many in such a long time.

2018 - Ryan helped and put together a whole heap of more info to support the submission, and wanted to discuss it at the 2018 Delegates meeting, and, without discussing with the members, the delegates fobbed it off.

Reading your submission to Cams/Scott Mcgrath, you stated about the removal of the turbos. My latest submission didn't request allowance for the removal of the turbo's, tells me how well you read it. Your comments about it being a GTC was quite funny, as you admitted that it wasn't.

Out of all the members that I have spoken, not one has told me that they didn't want the Cosmo, most have said it would be a good thing. Not one member/delegate has ever spoken to me about their disapproval of the Cosmo being in IPRA.

If 1 member was equal to 1 vote, Australia wide, then I feel that the Cosmo would have got in easy. That is not how the Constitution works, and I abide by the Constitution. (Pity others don't)

This whole thing has been caused by a few members that have railroaded the whole thing, and I am the one that has been f__ked over. I would be more than happy to take the judges decision, if the judges just followed their own rule set.
Last edited by Electro on Fri May 10, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwinTurbo

Post by TwinTurbo » Fri May 10, 2019 1:39 pm

FWIW the original proposal for the Cosmo's inclusion on "the list" was tabled at the 2010 Delegates Meeting. It was well and truly pre the current "form" being required to be filled in, it was an email circulated amongst the Delegates and then tabled at the Meeting in Melbourne.

Cheers
Gary

zossy1
racer

Post by zossy1 » Mon May 13, 2019 11:54 pm

So after another 20-30 hours of work, I have scratched precisely one item off my list...

Yet I’ve done a heap of other stuff that wasn’t on my list. Made an airbox, ordered the final fittings and hose that I need (hopefully), made mountings for my EWP, made a throttle cable guide, measured/ordered/received my new custom plug wires, plumbed the hot side of the cooling system (actually a serious PITA with the re-routed BP coolant path), made a few more lines (oil/water/fuel)...

I’m probably going to need to make some heat shielding for the turbo and manifold, but that can wait.

s&*t this is a marathon. Who the hell chooses to build a race car? I really enjoy this, but the law of diminishing returns is well and truly kicking in.
F28759A4-448F-49C1-8C16-6C0B730A9532.jpeg

bdinnerv
rookie

Post by bdinnerv » Tue May 14, 2019 9:28 am

zossy1 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:54 pm
So after another 20-30 hours of work, I have scratched precisely one item off my list...

Yet I’ve done a heap of other stuff that wasn’t on my list. Made an airbox, ordered the final fittings and hose that I need (hopefully), made mountings for my EWP, made a throttle cable guide, measured/ordered/received my new custom plug wires, plumbed the hot side of the cooling system (actually a serious PITA with the re-routed BP coolant path), made a few more lines (oil/water/fuel)...

I’m probably going to need to make some heat shielding for the turbo and manifold, but that can wait.

s&*t this is a marathon. Who the hell chooses to build a race car? I really enjoy this, but the law of diminishing returns is well and truly kicking in.
You will never run out of hose and fittings to order, and when you are all done, you will have a heap of fittings left over that you dont need.

I am going through the same things at the moment, it is the last 5% work that is taking a heap of time - assembling doors, finding pushrods for actuators, rubbers etc - early on in the piece you have days where you see massive progress, but at this stage, you work all weekend and ask yourself at the end, what has been achieved?

Hang in there, will be great to see the car out there.

zossy1
racer

Post by zossy1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:18 pm

Getting much closer now, though I have had no end of frustrating setbacks these past couple of weeks.

Need to get bumpers, guards, bonnet, etc back on the car. I also need to do a flush and pressure test on the fuel and oil system. I need to install the axles in the diff and tighten up the rear end, which is currently just sitting bolted in the car finger-tight. I need to reinstall the seat, and also fit a harness. I have a weeping pressure-side fitting on the EWP which I need to address. I also need to get the dash back in and install the fluid reservoirs for the brakes and clutch, and then bleed the brakes and clutch for the first time. Then install a windscreen.

I also had a nasty surprise when I reinstalled the steering arm and idler last weekend. The idler fouls one of my oil scavenge hose ends, where it hooks on to the sump. So I have had to order a tight 90 hard fitting to provide the clearance. It arrived today, so I should be able to install that this weekend and cut/re-end the scavenge hose to provide enough clearance.

At that point, I can hopefully take it to Phil to do a setup tune for the engine.

There will be a shitload more to do when I get it back from Phil. I'll need to make some heat shielding, provide some radiator ducting, install the front skirt and make some brake ducts, etc etc.. I will also need to modify my shifter mount. It works as-is, but probably won't be great in service.

Right now though, I just want to get it on track. Gary, i'll be calling you shortly to come and have a look at it. I'm hoping to leave it with Phil when we go overseas next week (will be gone for a few weeks, so should give him ample time to play with it).
323.jpg

TwinTurbo

Post by TwinTurbo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:04 am

Getting there, well done, give me a call when it’s ready to look at, doesn’t need to be “finished”, whatever small stuff is left I can check later. Just a reminder we don’t check “safety” items, that’s for Scrutineers, so seats, seat belts, window nets etc aren’t required.
Cheers
Gary Cook
IPRANSW Technical Officer
ipransw.org.au

Blueblood
rookie

Post by Blueblood » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:56 pm

Update, we have had confirmation from Ford that 266 were imported and sold in 2000. CAMS Technical has approved the Mondeo ST24 for IPRAWA, but since I am moving to Sydney in a few months, the build will continue over there. Hoping to get on track possibly 2020 in the U3L class in NSW.
Took a while to get the info from Ford, but big thanks to the IPRWA team for chasing it up with CAMS. Onwards we go !

mikrace
forum freak

Post by mikrace » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:41 pm

That's great news that you can build the car you want for IP. Will be good to have another u3L in NSW :)
Michael Hazelton
0404 051 926
TwinTurbo wrote:posting on here about it will achieve exactly nothing.