Now able to register from gmail/hotmail/yahoo accounts

Post notices here which are relevant to IPRA nationally.
Member Read/Write

Moderator: Moderators

davel
Site Admin

Now able to register from gmail/hotmail/yahoo accounts

Post by davel » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi guys,

As some of you are aware, we had banned the new signups for the forum from gmail/hotmail/yahoo accounts due to the number of spammers that were coming from these mail sites. This has caused a number of people to be inconvenienced by not being able to register with their normal email address and it pissed a fair few people off.

Well I've finally done something about it and changed the way we do spambot checks upon registration. This consults a number of online services that record spambots and their addresses. We've put a reasonably loose definition on for the moment to see how it goes. If this continues to keep the number of spambots down, then we can allow all registrations from generic email providers like gmail. If it fails, then we will have to go back to banning them.

Please let us know via admin@ipraforum.com.au if anyone experiences problems with registering and we can look into it.

Hope that this will make life easier for new users and also make our life easier.

Cheers,
Dave
Cheers,

Dave
Therapy Masters
KE25 Corolla #80 Over2l
www.therapymasters.com.au

davel
Site Admin

Re: Now able to register from gmail/hotmail/yahoo accounts

Post by davel » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:16 pm

Well after looking at the number of spambots registered from gmail/hotmail/yahoo accounts, it's too much hassle at this end going through all of the logs, so I have gone back to not allowing these email addresses again. If you really can't use anything other than your hotmail/gmail account, then email me (use Search to find address) and I will change allow for a short period of time to get your registration into the system.
Cheers,

Dave
Therapy Masters
KE25 Corolla #80 Over2l
www.therapymasters.com.au

mtpanorama
I spend too much time in front of a keyboard

Re: Now able to register from gmail/hotmail/yahoo accounts

Post by mtpanorama » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:30 pm

or I have plenty of spare email addresses that I could sell you :lol: :lol:
Shane Fowler Rx7 53
-------------------------------------------------