Lakeside Raceway

Post notices here which are relevant to IPRA nationally.
Member Read/Write

Moderator: Moderators

David Paterson
forum freak

Lakeside Raceway

Post by David Paterson » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:12 am

Go to http://www.prsc.qld.gov.au and you will see a media release from Pine Rivers Shire Council calling for expressions of interest to operate Lakeside Raceway. The relevant document can be downloaded from the website.

<p>David Paterson,<br>
Qld Improved Production Series Commentator</p><i></i>

David Paterson
forum freak

Post by David Paterson » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:56 pm

All sorts of people are ging around swearing to things that are just not true. People are suggesting that one party or another has won the tender, has done heaps of work and is ready to start running events.

I just couldn't believe that all of this would take place with any announcement being made, so I rang my local councilor and the president of LMRE. They both said the same thing.

Of the 11 EOIs received, 7 were invited to submit a tender. 3 of those have since withdrawn, leaving just 4 hats in the ring.

PCYC, Total Driver, MA & John Tetley are the final four. No decision has been made, but council say it is just weeks away. Of course, no work has been commenced by any tenderer.

MightyMk1
racer

Post by MightyMk1 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:05 pm

Hello David,

Have you seen the article in today's Courier Mail nameing Queensland Raceway as the winner of the selection process for management of Lakeside for future motorsport use.

Good news that there finally seems to be some progress on this matter, let's just hope that it is all handled properly to ensure that a broad spectrum of events can return to this facility for the enjoyment of all motorsport fans and participants.

I visited the Pine Rivers Council website and it seems to mirror the details of the newspaper article, stating no return of V8 racing to Lakeside Raceway or Lakeside Park as it will now be known.

Cheers Troy.

rdmdog
forum freak

Post by rdmdog » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:09 pm

So do you QLDers have another track to entice us Southerners to race at?

Word on the street is that Lakeside will be run by QLD Raceway (PTY LTD ???) but not for the V8's, meaning hopefully a return to State Championship meetings there.

I'm just throwing this out there, but how about a National series for IPRA, Lakeside, Bathurst, PI or Sandown, Mallala (Will be looking for a new headline act) One of the tassie tracks (either one), Hidden Valley and Wanneroo (Is the other track opening in WA? Will this mean similar to Mallala needing another mainline series to take up the vacany?)

Five rounds a year with a rotation of the more remote tracks (Maybe we need a new thread for this one)

Clearly this will take some time to come to fruition, but what ideas do we all have towards this?

David Paterson
forum freak

Post by David Paterson » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:41 pm

Word from PRSC & QR is that the circuit will have a considerable amount of money spent on it and the first meeting will be in May 2007.

At this stage I don't know if it will have a CAMS licence as well as AASA.

waylow
racer

Post by waylow » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:33 pm

Is there any news on this?
I am going up in April and am thinking of taking the car with me...

David Paterson
forum freak

Post by David Paterson » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:36 pm

New operator hopes to have the circuit operational in May 2007, no earlier. It will have an AASA licence. It will NOT have a CAMS track licence. It will only be open for 20 days a year!

rx3racer
one foot in the grave

Post by rx3racer » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:02 pm

David Paterson wrote:New operator hopes to have the circuit operational in May 2007, no earlier. It will have an AASA licence. It will NOT have a CAMS track licence. It will only be open for 20 days a year!
20 days? How the hell are they going to make any money out of that? It looks like it will cost a fortune to race there then, even going with the AASA licence.

Maybe the profits from QR will help keep things running. :D

waylow
racer

Post by waylow » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:27 pm

So much for that idea then!

David Paterson
forum freak

Post by David Paterson » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:17 pm

rx3racer wrote:
David Paterson wrote:New operator hopes to have the circuit operational in May 2007, no earlier. It will have an AASA licence. It will NOT have a CAMS track licence. It will only be open for 20 days a year!
20 days? How the hell are they going to make any money out of that? It looks like it will cost a fortune to race there then, even going with the AASA licence.

Maybe the profits from QR will help keep things running. :D
Yo're right, at 20 days a year, it just doesn't seem commercially viable. Maybe that is the council's plan?

Mr Tetley has already used the word "boutique" in relation to Lakeside. That to me implies that it will be very expensive and out of reach for some.

Skimming profits off a sucessful business to prop up another which is struggling is what got us all into this mess. :evil:

rx3racer
one foot in the grave

Post by rx3racer » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:35 pm

Racehatch
old timer

Post by Racehatch » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:03 am

Interesting little video, I totally forgot what a screamer of a track it is..... Will be interesting to see who ends up running there and what the costs are...

TCR
racer

Post by TCR » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:19 pm

Yes very intresting video. Good to see that the whole track will be resurfaced and the drainage issues wil be addressed. The slight changes to the layout will also make for a safer circuit without taking away from too much of the character.

In regards to it being viable, John stated that the council is looking to turn Lakeside into a community resource and as such it will not be relying solely on race meetings for income. The 20 days of racing was about the most John could get out of council with the ongoing concerns about noise, but I imagine there will be a number of driving training days and private hire days that will contribute to it's profitability. I know even things like cycling clubs have hired it in the past for events so things like this could still happen when it's reopened.

As for the IP guys getting a run, I wouldn't hold your breath. Unfortunately the noise restrictions seem pretty stiff and I can't see a field of IP cars falling within the limits, especially those rotaries :)
With John already starting his own QR championship it's a sure bet that a similar championship will be run at Lakeside. Given that this will take up probably 4 days of the year and the sprint events will take probably another 6 that's half the allocated days already. Then there is the new AASA bike racing category that will take 6-8 days and then a couple of historic meetings throughout the year.

It'd be great to see some other categories back there but I think your best bet will be one of the AASA run meetings.

Paul.

rx3racer
one foot in the grave

Post by rx3racer » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:28 am

Save Lakeside

Cruise in Show

Sunday, 12 August 2007

Cruise in on your street car or bike, or even bring the track beast on a trailer!

Be a part of the rally to re-open Lakeside Raceway, enter the show’n’shine or just come down for a look at two and four wheel works of art and engineering. All for just $2!

Lakeside Raceway has been the home of motorsport in Queensland for over 40 years and a small group is trying block the re-opening of one of the country’s rare motorsport facilities. They don’t care if your friends or kids die while racing in the streets because there is no safe alternative - just as long as their property values increase.

If motorsport is your passion, this is your last chance to stand up and be counted.

You don’t need a showpiece, just a daily driver, or even if you’ve only got a half built, partially restored frame, bring it on the trailer. Wear your motorsport apparel and show them we’re not going sit back and let them take our track away!

Important:

Sizzling BBQ and drinks available all day – NO ALCOHOL
Price - $2 per person includes cruise, show’n’shine competition fee and entry fee. All profits going to Save Lakeside campaign.
Simple event registration required for all vehicles attending the event – available at Lakeside Café Botanical Gardens for cruise & Lot 4 Lakeside Rd for show’n’shine.
Event registration available on the day. Downloadable forms not yet available on-line.

Time
Activity
9:00am
Pre-cruise hot breakfast available & Registration for all cruise participants
Lakeside Café

Mt Coot-tha Botanical Gardens

Toowong, Brisbane

10:00am
Start Cruise to Lakeside

*Event registration required for all participating vehicles.
Car park opposite Mt Coot-tha Botanical Gardens main entrance (make your own way or follow the leader)

10:45am
Arrive at Save Lakeside Cruise and Show

Lot 4 Lakeside Rd, Kurwongbah

(at the end of the road, opposite Lakeside Raceway)

12:00am
Entries close for People’s Choice Show’n’Shine Competition

Trophy categories:

People’s Favourite Motorcycle
People’s Favourite Car

12:00pm
Presentation speeches
LMRE president, QEMSC president, C.A.R.S. and more…

2:00pm
Voting closes for show’n’shine and winners announced

2:30pm
Event finish

Event proudly promoted by the Queensland Early Motorcycle Sports Club in conjunction with Lakeside Motor Racing Enthusiasts - http://www.lakesideraceway.com

Only possible with strong support from:

Motorcycling Australia – Queensland

http://www.hardtofindparts.com.au

madazmotorsport
old timer

Post by madazmotorsport » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:58 am

Good luck with this. Definitely one of the tracks worth saving.
Its about time someone pointed out that removing motorsport facilities will have an adverse follow-on effect to street racing. Both gov and Police should be behind this sort of thing especially considering they are constantly complaining about how their safety messages arent getting any results. If they supported and promoted something like this then they may actually get somewhere ;) But I guess we shouldn't let common sense get in the way of some good political "hoon" bashing now should we ;)
Madaz Motorsport - 2007 IPRAWA Outright Club Champ
2007 WASCC IPRA Over 2000cc Club Champ
IPRAWA : http://www.iprawa.com

rx3racer
one foot in the grave

Post by rx3racer » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:05 am

Here is the latest news Re: Lakeside

Lakeside gets green light from Council

27/09/07 - After a six year saga, on Tuesday 18 September 2007, the Pine Rivers Shire Council voted to enter into a lease with Wrexmere Pty Ltd (Queensland Raceway) to re-open and manage the historic Lakeside Raceway on Brisbane's north side.

The deal still must obtain State Government approval and the lease has not yet been signed, but neither party foresees any major delays.

Lakeside Motor Racing Enthusiasts president Ian Milton said,

"Credit to the Council for demonstrating the vision and determination necessary to deliver a victory for ratepayers, motorsport and common sense. Lakeside will deliver long term economic, social and life-saving benefits to the whole community."

While very pleased with the progress, John Tetley of Queensland Raceway cautioned,

"This is just one more step along the way. Albeit a big milestone, it's not the last milestone by any means."

Work remains before Lakeside can once more be operational. Even though most neighbouring residents chose to live in the area long after the race track was established in 1967, Mr Tetley is currently visiting the UK as part of the continuing effort to incorporate the concerns of neighboring residents.

"Many of the UK tracks have fairly severe noise restrictions and I think there is a lot to be learnt from them", he said.

"Without a lot of physical support for tidying up tyre walls, repairing ARMCO etc, it is possible we will not re-open with racing for some time, but instead concentrate on low investment, low revenue activities as the business finds its feet again and builds up some spending money. That is not to say there won't be speed events like sprints, but full-on racing may have to wait until we have the money to pay people to fix the edges, drains, tyre walls etc."

Cr Bob Millar sits on both the Pine Rivers Shire Council's Strategic & Planning and Co-ordination committees responsible for approving the Lakeside Raceway lease. He said,

"I think it's good for the ratepayers to finally reach a point, after a lot of time and effort has been spent on the concerns of residents, to get to where we can now move forward."

Council minutes showed one of the Co-ordination Committee's recommendations as,

"In addition to the operational and capital development matters, the lessee, in consultation with Council, is to include in the capital improvement program construction of a barrier at the western end of the circuit (known as the Carousel). This barrier may take the form of a vegetated mound or similar barrier."

When asked when he expected to see Lakeside re-start operations, Cr Millar replied, "Two years ago!"

Mr Milton reaffirmed LMRE's position,

"We've always said we'd support the bonafide winner of the Council's tender process and we're very pleased to get to this point after years of people saying that Lakeside was dead and buried, but now it's up to the motorsport community to determine Lakeside's future."

rx3racer
one foot in the grave

Post by rx3racer » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:35 pm

MEDIA RELEASE

Long Lease Locks in Lakeside

For Immediate Release: 18 December, 2007

Brisbane, Queensland - Supporters of Queensland's Lakeside Raceway received an early Christmas present this year with the Pine Rivers Shire Council and Wrexmere Pty Ltd (Queensland Raceway) signing off on a long term lease to operate the historic circuit on Brisbane's north side.

The agreement for 30 years, with an option for 10 years, obtained State Government Ministerial approval and will insure the facility celebrates its 50th anniversary on 19 March 2011.

Lakeside Motor Racing Enthusiasts president Ian Milton said,

"We're delighted and relieved by the news, but if we want to get on the track, everyone will have to pitch in and do their part - there's no more excuses for sitting on the sidelines."

When asked what the major challenges were to getting club-level motor racing back to Lakeside, John Tetley of Queensland Raceway said,

"We have all the usual major project hassles including red tape, availability of scarce resources, etc."

Mr Tetley said that an initial $1.2 million has already been secured to invest on rebuilding infrastructure and,

"The rest will depend on how wisely we invest the initial capital input and how many people come and spend their money there."

"We're targeting and hoping to re-open the driver training in February or March next year. Racing, maybe June, depending on a lot of variables including re-education of competitors and neighbour management."

Pine Rivers Shire Councillor Mike Charlton was very excited to declare the situation as "all systems go!" He described the council's vision for Lakeside as,

"Preservation of an iconic motorsport site embracing historic, commercial and club motorsport activities, combined with life-saving driver and rider education and community events."

Cr Charlton said that a legal action in the Planning & Environment Court between the PRSC and Mr Ron Curtis is "unlikely to delay" and is confident in their legal advice because it is "tried and tested" law. Last month a local newspaper article revealed that people had been listed as co-applicants without their permission. The action has been adjourned until 23 January, 2008.

Mr Milton pointed out the significance of events,

"An historic moment is occuring for the people of Queensland, and particularly the motorsport community, because I can think of no other example of a motor racing circuit in Australia being brought back from the brink like Lakeside."

"On behalf of LMRE members, I would like to extend a sincere invitation to anyone who has a passion for motorsport to help us get this deal over the line by registering on-line to help reconstruct Lakeside. You don't need to be an engineer, just bring the right attitude. To be part of history, please visit this site and fill in the form - "http://www.queenslandraceway.com.au/qrformlake.php."

For more information visit http://www.lakesideraceway.com.

###

Brett Richards
rookie

Post by Brett Richards » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:02 am

Im in :D :D

MelloYellow
old timer

Re: Lakeside Raceway

Post by MelloYellow » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:29 pm

I signed up for some help the other day when I got this release. Hopefully i'll be able to get together a band of Excavators/Bobcats to do some free earthmoving/triming for them.

Regards
Stu
Track Time